- Location Chengdu, China
- Status Built
- Services Architecture, Interior design
- Sectors Hospitality, Refurbishment
- Area 35,500m²/382,100ft²
- Client Sino Ocean Land Holdings, Swire Properties
The Temple House is an exciting new destination in Chengdu, offering 100 guestrooms, 42 serviced apartments and extensive public spaces. The visually innovative hotel forms a key element of the Chengdu Daci Temple Cultural and Commercial Complex – a major mixed use masterplan that includes the Pinnacle One office tower, also designed by Make.
The Temple House is the third boutique hotel in Swire’s ‘House Collective’ portfolio, a collection of luxury hotels that each incorporate features unique to their particular location. Our distinctive contextual design takes inspiration from the nearby 1,000-year-old Daci Temple and the unique architectural traditions of the Sichuan region, subtly incorporating these themes throughout the hotel, from the exterior facades through to the guestroom interiors.
Our layout offers a contemporary interpretation of a typical Chinese courtyard house configuration, with two slender L-shaped blocks surrounding a secluded landscaped inner area. Meanwhile, we’ve retained and restored an abandoned Qing Dynasty building to form a distinctive entrance lobby for the hotel, and converted two historic courtyard houses into a luxury spa facility.
With this sensitive reconciliation of old and new, we’ve designed a singular, cohesive and luxurious experience for guests for years to come.
Chengdu Daci Temple Cultural and Commercial Complex from the west, with The Temple House located in the top right of the image.
The Temple House is unique to Chengdu and unique in Chengdu.
A revitalised heritage building forms the heart of the arrival experience.
The design of The Temple House is wholly inspired by its location: Chengdu, China. From the Qing Dynasty-era entrance building to the contoured courtyard, the hotel draws on centuries of local tradition and landscape.
- Travel Weekly Awards Shortlisted 2017 Shortlisted – Best Design Hotel of the Year
- The Asia Hotel Design Awards Shortlisted 2016 Shortlisted – Urban Architecture of the Year
- Spa China Awards 2016 Winner – Best New Spa
- HICAP Sustainable Hotel Awards 2016 Winner – Sustainable Project Design
- FX Interior Design Awards 2016 Shortlisted – Best Leisure
- FX Interior Design Awards 2016 Winner – Best Hotel
- Wallpaper Best Urban Hotels 2015 Shortlisted
- ULI Awards for Excellence 2015 Winner – Global Award for Excellence
- HICAP Deal of the Year Awards 2015 Winner – Reggie Shiu Development of the Year