- Location London, UK
- Status Built
- Services Architecture, Interior design
- Sector Sports and leisure
- Area 15,500m²/166,800ft²
- Client The ODA/LOCOG
When we were commissioned to create a world-class arena ahead of the London 2012 Summer Olympics, a key challenge was crafting a design that could be efficiently repurposed after the Games.
Enter the Copper Box, one of only four permanent venues in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. The 7,500-seat indoor arena – London’s third-largest – hosted three major Olympic and Paralympic events during London 2012, and now operates as a community leisure and training facility, accommodating a wide range of sports as well as concerts, conferences and exhibitions.
The multi-purpose arena takes the form of a simple copper-clad structural box housing 2,750ft² field of play surrounded by colourful interiors. A retractable seating system means the shape and size of the playing surface can be swiftly be changed to suit different events, layouts and spectator numbers.
The Copper Box received an overwhelmingly positive reaction during London 2012, one that culminated in several industry awards as well as a loving nickname for the arena: ‘the box that rocks’. Its significant contribution towards the revitalisation of the Stratford area means it will continue to make an impact for years to come.
International Olympic Committee IAKS Awards 2013 – Special Prize
International Paralympic Committee IAKS Awards 2013 – Distinction
The Copper Box Arena is the third largest arena in London and the most versatile in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. The adaptable design caters for an incredibly diverse range of sports – from handball and badminton to boxing and wheelchair rugby – and other events.
- RICS London Awards 2013 Shortlisted – Design & Innovation
- New London Awards 2013 Shortlisted – Public Buildings
- Leaf Awards 2013 Shortlisted – Public Building of the Year, Sport
- IPC/IAKS Awards 2013 Distinction
- IOC/IAKS Awards 2013 Special Prize
- Civic Trust Awards 2013 National Commendation
- Civic Trust Awards 2013 Winner - Hackney Borough
- Building Awards 2013 Shortlisted – Project of the Year
- Perspective Awards 2012 Certificate of Excellence – Best International Architecture
- Hackney Design Awards 2012 Winner - Overall
- Hackney Design Awards 2012 Runner-up - People's Choice