- Location Oxford, UK
- Status Built
- Service Architecture
- Sector Education and research
- Area 7,400m²/79,700ft²
- Client The University of Oxford
The Big Data Institute (BDI) is our fourth building on the University of Oxford’s Old Road Campus. A key aspect of the brief was to create a space that unites the best of the traditional academic environment with the best of today’s commercial workplace.
Big data – and big design too. The building wraps around a spectacular 4-storey atrium, its walls curving at the front in an elegant prow, creating a new landscaped space in front of the entrance. Inside, the aesthetics of academia and science collide. Timber ribbons and a dramatic timber staircase recall the richness of Oxford’s traditional academic buildings. In contrast, white glass and metal in the main entrance, data hall and seminar rooms express its digital and scientific ambitions.
It’s the combination the university was after – striking a balance between the academic and contemporary that creates an impressive, interactive space to work. Here 550 academics, from post-doctorates to world-leading professors, can collect, store and analyse vast amounts of complex biomedical information. This new building will be instrumental to their pioneering research and medical advances.
[This] will pioneer new advances in the analysis of medical data which can help scientists to better understand human disease and its treatment.
In a Make first, we’ve pioneered a rare design in which the building sits atop a 600m underground concrete labyrinth. The air running through it is drawn from outside and will either be cooled or warmed by the concrete – which is a relatively constant 12oC – to regulate temperatures in both winter and summer.
- CIBSE Awards 2018 Shortlisted - Commercial/Industrial Project of the Year
- Civic Trust Awards 2019 Shortlisted
- Oxford Preservation Trust Awards 2018 Winner - Contemporary Building
- British Construction Industry Awards 2018 Shortlisted - Social Infrastructure Project of the Year
- Building Awards 2018 Winner - Building Performance Award
- RIBA South Awards 2018 Winner
- Building Energy Efficiency Awards 2015 Shortlisted