- Location London, UK
- Status Built
- Service Architecture
- Sector Workplace
- Area 74,300m²/800,000ft²
- Client London Wall Partnership
Like its neighbour, the Barbican, London Wall Place is a significant City of London site. Within it lie the remains of St Alphage Church and a section of the original London Wall. We’ve unlocked these historic structures and replaced the site’s existing buildings – a 1950s podium and a vacant tower – with a swathe of high-quality office space.
In with the old, in with the new. Along with designing two striking new buildings that together will provide more than 75,000ft² of office space, we’ve reinstated the site’s historic grids, knitting together the two heritage structures with new pedestrian routes and a series of beautifully landscaped gardens. Uniting our new development is a unique cladding – an iridescent coating of concrete and faience that reinterprets the knapped flint of the site’s Roman and Saxon remains. Along the London Wall, we’ve created more than 250m of active frontage, bringing life back to the street.
The site is now better connected to its surroundings, and more than 50% of it is public space. It’s easier to walk through the area, and the streetscape is livelier too, making it an accessible and altogether more attractive City site.
London Wall Place creates a new destination in the heart of the City, providing two new office buildings that can accommodate up to 5,000 employees, as well as a unique sequence of city gardens that will become a sanctuary in the Square Mile.
- RIBA London Awards 2019 Shortlisted
- Property Week 2019 Shortlisted – Placemaking
- RICS Awards 2019 Shortlisted – Best Commercial
- London Planning Awards 2018 Shortlisted – Best New Workplace
- London Planning Awards 2018 Shortlisted – Heritage and Culture
- London Planning Awards 2018 Shortlisted – Mayors Award for Sustainability
- Architecture MasterPrize 2018 Winner – Landscape Architecture / Commercial
- Blueprint Awards 2018 Shortlisted – Best Non-Public Project
- Structural Steel Design Awards 2018 Merit
- AJ Architecture Awards 2018 Shortlisted
- OAS Development Awards 2018 Winner – Best City Development
- Worshipful Company of Chartered Architects Awards 2018 Winner – Best New Build in the City of London
- British Construction Industry Awards 2018 Shortlisted – Commercial Property Project of the Year
- World Architecture Festival 2011 Shortlisted – Future Projects, Commercial
- WAN Awards 2011 Commendation – Unbuilt, Commercial