- Status Built
- Service Architecture
- Sectors Arts and culture, Education
- Client The University of Birmingham
The Birmingham Municipal Bank was built in 1933 to designs by reputed Midlands architect T. Cecil Howitt. We’ve refurbished this Grade II-listed building, located on Birmingham’s historic Centenary Square, transforming it into a new multi-functional building for the University of Birmingham. This city-centre site supports a public programme of cafés and galleries, collaborative workspaces, and places for events, research and meetings.
Our redesign is part of a broader sweep of local regeneration that includes significant changes to Centenary Square – including the introduction of a metro tram system that links to New Street Station and Snow Hill – as well as the adjacent Arena Central, the site of several other recent Make designs. The refurbished bank features a new south-facing extension opening onto the newly landscaped Bank Court and sits among a host of prominent neighbours, including the Stirling Prize-nominated Library of Birmingham and the landmark Hall of Memory.
Our design continues and enhances the lively, confident juxtaposition this collection of bold buildings has created. It further enlivens one of Birmingham’s primary public squares and provides a civic laboratory that fosters ideas, informs research and inspires action to benefit the community.